Pages

Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes

Thursday, July 6, 2017



I am forever  looking for creative recipes using ground beef. Especially when it is on sale . Usually, ground beef recipes are a life saver for me on busy weeknights. It doesn't take long to cook and you can add so many different sauces to make pasta, casseroles or sloppy joes. My kids love sloppy joes. I make them often, knowing they will be eaten with happy faces around the dinner table . You can check out my Homemade Sloppy Joes recipe HERE and Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes HERE . These sloppy joes are reminiscent of Philly cheesesteaks, although I do not use provolone cheese . I know, I know. Everyone knows philly cheesesteaks use provolone. But after making these for many years and trial and error. I like the combo of mozzarella and gouda. And I even used mozzarella and parmesan once when that was all I had and it worked beautifully. Basically,  use any cheese that you  want. This recipe makes a bunch. But I have a houseful of teenage boys, so I make huge amounts of food anyway. So cut the recipe in half if you have a smaller family to feed. 

Philly Cheesecake Sloppy Joes

Ingredients
2 lbs ground beef
4 T butter
1 yellow onion, diced small
1 green pepper, diced small
4 oz white mushrooms, minced
4 T ketchup
2 T worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 T plus 1 tsp cornstarch
1 1/2 c beef broth
2 slices gouda cheese, diced small
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
8-12 buns

Directions
1. In a medium to large skillet, brown the ground beef until cooked through. Remove beef to a bowl and keep warm.
2.In the same skillet, add the butter, onions, green peppers and mushrooms. Cook on medium heat until the vegetables are soft, about 2 minutes.
3. Add beef back to the skillet. Stir.
4. In a measuring cup add the beef broth and cornstarch and stir until you have a light brown slurry.
5. Add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and beef broth/cornstarch mixture.
6. Cook for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until the liquid is reduced and the sloppy joes thicken up a bit.
7. Turn off the heat and add the gouda and mozzarella cheese. Stir well until all of the cheese is melted .
8. Serve hot on buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment