Pages

Juanita's Baked Chicken Leg Quarters with Red Pepper Vinegar Sauce

Thursday, June 22, 2017


I spend my quiet time, usually at night when my husband and sons are sleeping, developing recipes. Most of the time they are of foods I remember growing up on in NC. This one I created based on my Grandma Juanita's  bbq chicken. I have never tasted anything like it except when we would gather at her house in the summer. She made it a bit different than I do, using a huge pot and lots of chicken . I think there may have been broiling involved. I adapted the recipe from what I remember it tasting like. Trial and error. I ended up using chicken leg quarters . They are inexpensive and I have a house of hungry boys who can eat. No exaggeration when I say they are eating me out of house and home. This recipe I used 4 chicken leg quarters. the sauce can be doubled or tripled depending on how much you need. The sauce has a vinegar tang with a bit of heat from the crushed red pepper. I added extra pepper for my husband and I . We like hot. I also kept the skin on the chicken and roasted it. I prefer it that way. It cooks up crispy and when the sauce is poured over it, the flavor is incredible. I serve the chicken with roasted potatoes and asparagus.

Juanita's Baked Chicken Leg Quarters with Red Pepper Vinegar Sauce

Ingredients
4 chicken leg quarters
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 c melted butter
1/4 c white distilled vinegar
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes ( or more if you like it hot)

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Lightly grease a 9x13 glass dish.
2. Place the chicken quarters in the dish. Sprinkle evenly with the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the melted butter, vinegar and red pepper. Using a brush, brush the chicken with the sauce. an even layer will do. Reserve the rest of the sauce.
4. Place the chicken in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, basting once after 20 minutes. 
5. When the chicken is done, pour the rest of the sauce over the chicken and let it rest for a few minutes. Serve .

No comments:

Post a Comment