Pages

Dark Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream

Wednesday, June 28, 2017



I have really been getting my moneys worth of use out of my ice cream maker. A few years ago I purchased a Cuisinart ice cream maker and , like always when I purchase a new kitchen appliance , I had grandiose plans for homemade ice cream all summer long. Well, after a few uses I put it in the closet and forgot about it. This spring I was cleaning out said closet of small appliances  like a panini maker, an ebelskiver pan ( really, Liz!)  and a cake pop maker ( seriously, box never even opened) and I just could not bear to part with the ice cream maker.I really didn't want to get rid of it, so I plopped it on the kitchen counter, put the cylinder in the freezer to freeze up and the rest is history. We have had lots of homemade ice cream already this summer and have plans to make much ,much more. I made this dark chocolate cherry ice cream with a bit of the fresh cherries we picked last weekend and it is my favorite so far!  I used mini dark chocolate chips and they were perfect.

Dark Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream

Ingredients

2 c sweet cherries, pitted  and rough chopped, divided
3/4 c whole milk
1 3/4 c heavy cream ( or half and half)
1/2 c sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 c mini dark chocolate chips

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 c cherries, milk, cream, sugar and salt. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. 
2. Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. You will have small bits of cherry , which is what you want. 
3. Place bowl in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to chill .
4. Freeze according to the directions on your ice cream maker.
5. Fold in the remaining cherries and the chocolate chips.
6. Transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe container. Freeze overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment