Pages

Cherry Butter

Wednesday, June 28, 2017



I am about to bombard my blog with recipes using fresh cherries. Sorry, not sorry! My bestie and I wrangled up our husbands and kids this weekend and headed to our local orchard and picked an insane amount of cherries. It was so fun and hopefully we will do it again next year. I swear I didn't think we picked so many, but when I got home and had to pit 18 lbs of cherries, then yeah, we picked so many dang cherries. But I had a folder full of recipes for them, so I have spent the last few days knee deep in cherries. I made cherry pie filling , cherry crisp, cherry cheesecake popsicles, dark chocolate cherry ice cream ( recipes to follow ) and this cherry butter. I have never made cherry butter before, and after tasting the final product I am so glad I did. It is basically apple butter, but with cherries. Slow cooked cherries with sugar and spices ! This recipe made 4 small jars full. I highly recommend trying this recipe. Smooth, velvety cherry butter to slather on biscuits, or over ice cream or spooned into oatmeal. So many possibilities.

CHERRY BUTTER

Ingredients
6 cups sweet cherries, pitted and roughly chopped
1.5 - 2 c sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 (scant) ground allspice
1 lemon, zested and juiced

Directions
1. In a large saucepan, combine the cherries, sugar, cinnamon, allspice and lemon juice and zest . Mix well and bring the cherries to a simmer.
2. Stir the cherries and reduce the heat to a simmer. Let it slowly reduce, while stirring every 5 minutes or so. It will need to  cook for about an hour to thicken up.
3. Take the saucepan off of the heat and use an immersion blender to puree the fruit to a smooth consistency. 
4. Ladle the butter into prepared jam jars. Seal and process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes.
5.If you do not want to can  , just keep the jars refrigerated and eat within 3 to 4 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment