Pages

Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

 photo ee6829eb-7200-4572-822d-f2205f50fbf3_zps92c25d7f.jpg

This is  a repost from last year. I have had a few people email me about this recipe this week alone, so I thought I would share it with my newer readers. It is a great summer recipe.

We were invited to a party last night and my husband asked me to fix a side dish. Since I knew they were having hot dogs and hamburgers, I decided to make a macaroni salad. I always  get nervous when I make food for people.I  am always fearful that they might think my food is gross and I will leave with as much food as I came with. thankfully, last night I came home with an empty bowl.This salad is so easy to make. It is a sweet salad, but tastes so good when it is cold and the flavors have melded for a few hours. I do not think it is as good right after making it. So plan ahead and refrigerate it for awhile before serving it. I promise it gets better as it sits. You can add and omit as well. Although I would leave in the celery and onion. I leave out the peppers if I do not have any (as in this picture), just as long as I have the onion, celery and egg. And it is kid friendly as well. I think  they like it because it has such a sweet taste too it. As we left the party last night, I received a few compliments on it. I hope you do as well.

PICNIC MACARONI SALAD

  • 1 box uncooked macaroni
  •  4 hard boiled eggs, chopped 
  • 1/2 cup  celery, chopped
  • 1/2 cup  onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup red pepper, chopped
  •  1 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1/3 cup sugar

Directions : Cook and drain macaroni. Cool. Add eggs, celery, peppers and onion. Mix mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, and sugar thoroughly, then add to macaroni mixture. Chill well .





24 comments:

  1. My Mom used to make something very similar to this! Haven't had it in ages, will have to fix soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Current follower from Tuesday Tag-Along!

    Please follow me back

    http://helpingunitefatherandson.blogspot.com/

    Happy Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there

    I'm following you from Tuesday Tag Along. That macaroni salad looks delicious!!

    Jill
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz,
    So simple, yet so delicious. Thanks for sharing. I'm a new follower!

    Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following you back! Hope you had a safe Memorial Day. Would love to see you stop by again sometime to visit. Have a great week.

    http://sixcherriesontop.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks good!

    Stopping by from the Tuesday Tag-along. Come follow back if you get the chance!

    Diane
    www.turning-the-clock-back.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am actually planning on making macaroni salad today. Forgot the onions though, have to go back out to get them.
    First time I have heard of sugar being added to it.

    Following you on GFC as Thrifty Canucks from Tag along tuesday. Please check out my blog and follow back if you can
    http://thriftycanucks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Following you from Tuesday Tag-A-Long
    http://mrsphilipswithonel.blogspot.com
    I will have to tell one of my co-workers about this she loves pasta salad

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delish!! I have been craving some macaroni salad for a while. I just need a few ingredients and I'm ready to go!!
    Yummy!!
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds yummy!
    I am a new follower from Tag along Tuesday! Hope you follow as well. Have a great day.
    Jennette
    Smart and Trendy Moms
    http://www.smartandtrendymoms.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks really good! The bowl wouldn't go home full if you brought it here, that's for sure. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've got a really great blog here!

    Happy Follow Me Tuesday! I'm your newest follower! If you get a chance, will you please stop by and follow me too at http://www.mommylivingthelifeofriley.com

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the simplicity of this recipe! It's hard to find macaroni shaped noodles here but I can easily substitute it with another similiar pasta. Will have to try this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, I can't wait to try this!
    Visiting from ifellwoship.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum-O. That's my kind of fellowship! Thank you for joining us at Seeds of Faith today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh goodness... this looks and sounds so good! I haven't had macaroni salad in way too long. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    Stopping by from iFellowship...so nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That picture makes soooo hungry!!!

    Blessings to you from iFellowship,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I hate that feeling of bringing something and not knowing if people will like it! Thanks for sharing a recipe that you've tested and received compliments on! ♥ Michelle

    (a little late on my iFellowship blog hopping) :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks delicious! I'm now following you from FF!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Liz, this is one of the favorite recipes I've ever gotten from your blog. I make it almost every week in the summer. Anytime we are having company or invited to a cookout. Rarely are there ever any leftovers! Thanks for sharing such great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Deb, thank you for stopping by. I am so glad that you enjoy my blog. And the macaroni salad, I have to admit, is one of my favorites as well. It is hard for me to stop eating it when it is in the fridge.Have a great week, my friend. Talk to you soon.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds soooo good! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week's bash! http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2016/05/make-pretty-monday-week-176.html Hope to see you again real soon! Happy week to you! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete