Pages

Pieroghi Soup

Thursday, December 8, 2016


This is  the number one requested soup recipe at my house. It is a spin off of chicken noodle soup and it is outstanding. You can find frozen pierogi  in the freezer section of your grocery store. Plan on oohs and aahs from your dinner crew.The pierogi cook down while they simmer and the soup has a thickness to it that is perfect comfort on cool autumn nights.  I serve these with cheddar garlic rolls . A definite staple in the cooler months. Especially after an afternoon outside in the chilly air.* note - I double the recipe for my crew of 5. Everyone always wants seconds.

Pierogi Soup


Ingredients

1 (15 ounce) boxes frozen pierogies, potato and cheese filling

2 tablespoons butter

1/2 cup chopped onions

1 cup finely chopped cabbage, packed

3 1/2 cups chicken broth

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon paprika

1 cup milk

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese


Directions


  1. Cut each pierogie lengthwise, then 3 times crosswise, so each will be cut into 8 pieces.( partially thaw them for a few minutes and they will be easier to cut)
  2. In a soup pot, melt the butter. Add the chopped onion and cabbage; sauté for 5-7 minutes or until onions are translucent. Do not brown.
  3. Add the pierogies and chicken broth.
  4. Add the garlic powder, salt, pepper and paprika.
  5. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  6. Add the milk and cheese. Cook and stir over low heat until heated through and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.


Print Friendly and PDF

24 comments:

  1. mmm I am going to make this soup this weekend!! Quick and budget friendly! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My youngest LOVES pierogies!! I'll have to try this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love pierogi!! I am making this soup this weekend for sure!! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. liz--i just about died when i saw this recipe in the thumbnail....never, never have i thought of dropping pierogi into a soup. i HAVE to make this...my mouth is seriously watering right now. thank you for linking up to tuesday night supper club!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to try this. Looks so good and different. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love frozen pierogis! I'm not brave enough to try my own yet homemade, this sounds wonderful! Your newest follower, found this recipe over at Tuesday Night Supper Club!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Corrine, you are welcome! I had never even heard of pierogi until we moved to Pittsburgh! I fell in love with them and cannot imagine not having a box in my freezer for a quick meal! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen, I hope you enjoy the soup as much as we do! Happy Autumn to you !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs.Claus - my boys love pierogies as well. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment . Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christy , I did the same thing! My friend and I first made this at her house on a cold snowy afternoon and I thought, why in the WORLD have I not thought of this soup sooner! Thank you so much for stopping my blog! Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kirby, I haven't made any homemade either. There is a church down the road that sells them. Little old ladies make them by hand! Sooo good. I really want them to teach me, so I can carry on the tradition! Thanks for stopping in and leaving a comment. I am a follower of your blog now as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melynda, It is a wonderful soup. I hope you enjoy it! ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Liz, you have outdone yourself today! Pierogi Soup. I'm making this soon. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never eaten a pierogi, but I have to try this soup. I'll be adding the ingredients to my grocery list this week. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this idea! I've never thought about putting pierogies into a soup! This is soooo going on the menu for next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. good thing you reposted because i missed this the first time around! definitely on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks like the perfect fall soup. Cannot wait to try it out. Come over and visit us. We have the most amazing apple cake.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds super simple to make and delicious. I cannot wait to add it to next week's dinner list.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow!! Pierogi soup?! That's like my two favorite fall foods mesh together! I can't wait to try it. :)

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  20. This recipe was amazing!! I made it for my husband and he loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you guys enjoyed it! Definitely a family favorite! ~Liz

      Delete
  21. This sounds and looks amazing! We love pierogies and I'm looking forward to making this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This was amazing! Thank you for posting - we have a new favorite soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it! It is a great soup! Thanks for commenting and letting me know you give it a thumbs up! ~Liz

      Delete