Pages

Chicken Pot Pie Pasta

Wednesday, October 29, 2014




This past week was a very hectic one. I made a menu plan, but did not make all of the dishes that I had planned. Either I was too lazy, my kids had a special request , or we just wanted something easy.  This dinner was created out of laziness. I really did not want to slave in the kitchen . I had done laundry all day and had no desire to try something adventurous. I had a refrigerator of this and that  left over from the past few days and I decided on a chicken pot pie. But then I realized I would have to make , from scratch, the pie crust. NOT. So I came up with the idea of making the filling and serving it over pasta. Hello... where have I been that I did not think of this sooner? My kids and husband inhaled it. Smooth, creamy chicken and vegetable filling over warm pasta. I think I will probably be making this dish more than the actual pie. And  you can add and subtract different vegetables you have on hand. I had leftover green beans, and no frozen corn, so I changed it up. And I added half of a sliced red pepper that needed to be eaten, as well as a handful of broccoli florets. Be creative.

CHICKEN POT PIE PASTA

1 box pasta of choice( I chose farfelle)
1 T butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup diced onions
2/3 cup diced carrots
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 c chicken broth
2/3 c frozen peas
2/3 cup frozen corn ( i subbed green beans, broccoli and red pepper)
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
2 cups cooked chicken, cubed

1.In a large pan, boil the pasta until al dente. Drain . Set aside and keep warm.
2.In a medium saucepan, combine butter,garlic,onion,carrots, salt ,pepper and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer until carrots are tender.
3.When carrots are tender, add peas and corn and simmer about 5 more minutes. In a measuring cup or small bow, whisk together the milk and the flour.
4.Add the milk mixture to the vegetable mixture and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.Boil until thickened, about a minute or so.Add the chicken and stir. Reduce heat to medium and let the chicken warm, about 1-2 minutes.
5. Place pasta on a serving platter and top with chicken mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

9 comments:

  1. WOW!! Made this for dinner tonight!! I made homemade chipotle noodles. After I made the sauce, I mixed everything together; put in a casserole dish and topped with cheddar cheese & baked for 1/2 hour. This is going to stay on our menu! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love chicken pot pie and I love pasta!

    Kathie
    http://www.sassylittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. so yummmy and I really think my family would eat this
    come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great recipe! I'd love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing. I'd love to have you come link this up to our Teach Me Tuesday Linky - it's brand new and in need of creative contributions! http://www.somedayilllearn.com/2013/02/18/teach-me-tuesday-5/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot wait to try out this recipe. It looks delicious. I would love for you to share this at my link party this week.
    http://www.bloominghomestead.com/2013/02/crafty-tuesday-link-party-21913.html
    -Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This look so good, and such a good comfort food. Can't wait to give this a try. :)

    Kristen
    www.chickyscafe.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Genius! I love chicken pot pie so this is a great idea! Thanks for sharing at The Gunny Sack!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great recipe! Have a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete