Pages

Balsamic Beef Stew

Saturday, October 11, 2014



One of the things that I love most about blogging is meeting so many wonderful bloggers and reaading their fabulous recipes. Over the years I have read hundreds of blogs and there are a few that I come back to time and time again. One of those blogs that I adore is Baked Bree . She has the most amazing recipes. I have never made a recipe from her blog that has not been wonderful. I was going through my very neglected Google Reader and I found this recipe for balsamic beef stew and knew I had to make it. My family loves beef stew and I knew that they would love this. I was right and it do not disappoint. The beef was tender and the gravy was just the right consistency with a hint of sweetness from the balsamic. If you can, use the highest quality ingredients. The earthiness of the fresh rosemary and fresh thyme and the boldness of the wine was wonderful.  The addition of the balsamic was great. I used balsamic from my favorite vendor in Pittsburgh, Olio Fresca and the flavors put the stew over the top good. The original recipe called for 3T of balsamic vinegar , but I used a scant 2T and it was enough. I chose Olio Fresca's Traditional Style Balsamic and it was ah-mazing. PS - the peach balsamic is my absolute favorite. So good on salads!

Balsamic Beef Stew
adapted from Baked Bree
Ingredients
  • 2 lbs. beef chuck, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 3 Tablespoons flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 sprig fresh rosemary
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 1 cup baby carrots
  • 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
  • 3 Tablespoons water
  • 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Instructions
  1. Place beef in a large plastic zipper bag. Add flour, salt, and pepper. Shake until beef is coated with flour.
  2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides. Transfer to a plate.
  3. Add the onions to the pot, adding more oil if needed. Cook for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add bay leaves, rosemary, and thyme. Add the beef back to pot. Add red wine and beef broth. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low.
  4. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until beef is fork tender. Add the carrots and cook for another 30 minutes more.
  5. In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and water. Add to stew and bring to a bubble. Add balsamic vinegar. Serve hot on rice, potatoes or noodles.

1 comment:

  1. Carol, thank you for stopping by. This is a great recipe that I recommend highly. ~liz

    ReplyDelete