Pages

Old Fashioned Caramel Corn

Friday, September 22, 2017



One of the foods I love to make for neighbors, teachers and friends during the fall season is this old fashioned caramel corn. Growing up, this popcorn was always at my nana's when we could pop over to visit. She would make  a double {or triple) recipe and store it in a large Charles Chips tin. My sister, cousins and I would sit around the kitchen table and eat handfuls of it until nana cut us off. As we got older, she would put bowls of the corn  on the table as we played Scrabble . It brings back so many great memories. Don't you just love when food sends you into reminiscing about childhood?
This recipe is easy, once you get the hang of it. It is rich and buttery and makes a great snack. Keep it in  an airtight container , otherwise it will get soft. I would make a double batch if I were you .It goes quick!

Old Fashioned Caramel Corn
Ingredients
2 cups brown sugar (packed)
1 cup butter
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
5 quarts popped corn


Pop corn and keep warm in two shallow pans (however, I recommend using one large roasting pan versus cookie sheets) in 250 degree oven. Combine sugar, butter, syrup and salt in sauce pan on stovetop. Bring to a boil slowly and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda. Pour immediately over popped corn and mix well. Place back in oven and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.Let cool and break up. Store in container.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Michelle, thank you for stopping by! You are very welcome! Enjoy your weekend! Liz

      Delete
  2. Hello Elizabeth!

    Stopping by from Nancherrow linky party. Of all the thumbnail photos your caramel corn grabbed my attention. It looks so, so good! Looking forward to making your recipe :)

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, I am so happy you clicked on the thumbnail :) Honestly, this is a such a tried and true recipe that I make over and over. I hope you and yours enjoy it as much as we do. Liz

      Delete
  3. Yummo-I can almost taste this! I love your new blog design too-very elegant. Thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, thank you! The blog is slowly getting a facelift. It is soooo much work :) I feel like I have been editing for weeks.

      Delete
  4. My kids love caramel corn! Found your recipe at the Friday Favorites Link Party:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrian thank you for stopping by The Fresh Plate . This caramel corn is definitely a kid pleaser. Have a great weekend ! ~Liz

      Delete
  5. Caramel Corn is my favorite and this looks fantastic. Pinning to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, this is a great recipe that I highly recommend! Thanks for pinning, and for taking the time to leave a comment! ~Liz

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the recipe, it's looks so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexis, you are very welcome! ~Liz

      Delete
  7. My all time favorite treat! Pinned. Hugs! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly, mine too! Thanks for pinning, and for stopping by The Fresh Plate!~Liz

      Delete