Pages

No Knead English Muffin Bread

Tuesday, April 12, 2016


I have always been intimidated by baking my own bread. I always figured it was easier to buy artisan loaves and not worry about yeast and rising and kneading. But a few years ago (well, really about a decade ago) I started making my own loaves of bread when my oldest started school and I was pregnant with number two and so very bored during my days at home.  Over the years I have made many loaves with different flours, different techniques and different flavors. Some are super time consuming and complex. And others, like this recipe, are super easy and tastes wonderful out of the oven. This bread is called english muffin bread and while it doesn't have the holes that traditional english muffins have, this bread is dense and is perfect toasted with butter and jam. Perfect! And it is no knead. Just mix the dry , warm the wet , combine ,let rise and bake. It rises for about an hour  and bakes for about 20 minutes, so from start to finish, you can have a fresh, warm loaf of bread in less than two hours . I highly recommend this technique to newbie bakers or hurried moms like me. I can make a loaf or two and have it rise and bake while I am preparing dinner. I can't say enough good things about this recipe.

No Knead English Muffin Bread
Recipe courtesy King Arthur Flour

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon instant yeast
1 cup milk
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
cornmeal to (sprinkle in pan)
Directions
1) Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and instant yeast in a large mixing bowl.
2) Combine the milk, water, and oil in a separate, microwave-safe bowl, and heat to between 120°F and 130°F. the liquid will feel quite hot (hotter than lukewarm but not boiling)
3) Pour the hot liquid over the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl.
4) Beat at high speed for 1 minute. The dough will be very soft.
5) Lightly grease an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan, and sprinkle the bottom and sides with cornmeal.
6) Scoop the soft dough into the pan, leveling it in the pan as much as possible.
7) Cover the pan, and let the dough rise till it's just barely 1/4" over the rim of the pan.  This will take about 45 minutes to 1 hour, if you heated the liquid to the correct temperature and your kitchen isn't very cold. While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 400°F.
8) Remove the cover, and bake the bread for 20 to 25 minutes, till it's golden brown and its interior temperature is 190°F.
9) Remove the bread from the oven, and after 5 minutes turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool. Let the bread cool completely before slicing.

2 comments:

  1. There is nothing better than fresh baked bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I definitely agree with you on that one! Fresh baked bread is one of the best comfort foods! Thank you for stopping by The Fresh Plate. ~Liz

      Delete