Pages

Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Black Bean Chicken

Thursday, October 8, 2015




I wish I could say that I like the slow cooker to make meals. But the truth is, there are very few meals that I prepare in the slow cooker. I find that the majority of the meals end up over cooked and the flavors just meld together in a very unsatisfactory way. Not to mention, no matter what it is that cooks in there, it always comes out a weird brown color . Not appealing to me. Now don't get me wrong. There are a few tried and true recipes that I will use a slow cooker for. But on any given day, I would prefer baking a dish in the oven. Which brings me to this recipe. I have had it bookmarked on Allrecipes for years. Yes, years. The majority of reviews love the recipe. And I love anything with black beans, sweet potatoes and cumin. I was so hesitant about trying out this recipe in the slow cooker. Somehow the thought of such beautiful ingredients cooking down to mush was not appealing. I finally decided to just do it. (after converting the recipe to an oven bake time, I decided to make it as written ) Well, folks. Let me say that this is one of the best slow cooker meals I have ever eaten. It is that good. So good that I would make it once a week if I could. I did change it up a bit from the original  based on my husbands disdain for black beans and cilantro . He will eat both, but I am very aware they are not on his short list of favorite foods. So I decreased the amounts of both, and added another half cup of salsa,just because. Next time I will add one more diced sweet potato. The original recipe called for a red bell pepper, but I did not have one and was not about to load up three ornery children in the car  and trek to the grocery store for it. Not a chance, my friends. So I left it out. I didn't miss it, but next time  if I have one on hand I will   put it in with everything else. I served this chicken with steamed brown rice and a  romaine salad. And my 17 year old thanked me for dinner when he was done. Which is a small miracle in itself. That he talked to me. Not that he liked the food ;) .

Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Black Bean Chicken
Ingredients
3 lbs skinless chicken thighs
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, chopped
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cup salsa ( use a med or hot.mild will get lost in the other ingredients)
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground allspice
3 large garlic cloves, chopped

1.Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Place the chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker.
2.Place the sweet potatoes and black beans on top of the chicken.
3.In a medium bowl, mix together the chicken broth, cilantro , salsa, cumin , allspice and garlic.
4.Pour salsa mixture on top of the sweet potatoes and black beans.
5. Set slow cooker on low and cook for 3-4 hours , until the chicken is cooked through.

10 comments:

  1. love slow cook recipwes and this one sounds amazing with so many wonderful flavors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks so delightful. I am always looking for more slow cooking recipes. Can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound so good! I love the combination of flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz,
    This Slow Cooker Latin Chicken would be a hit here with this group. The recipe looks very good. Hope to see you at Full Plate Thursday! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! Thanks for linking up to Mostly Made By You!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am here from Follow me Wednesday! Love your current giveaway!
    -Emily from Mama Days
    http://littlemissemmylou.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this sounds so tasty! Have you ever tried wrapping a potato or sweet potato in foil and putting it in your slow cooker for 6-8 hours on low? OH MY GOODNESS. It is so good, let me tell you.

    I am a new follower from Follow Me Wednesday. Have a blessed week!

    http://socialstudiesmomma.blogspot.com/2011/01/follow-me-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miz Helen, I will definitely link up tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by. ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Danielle, thanks for stopping by. I love linkys and will stop by often. Have a great day. ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  10. This really does sound good...love the combination of ingredients. I use my slow cooker all of the time...all year long...for everything form "soup to nuts." Most of the time, I cook everything on Low...the texture seems to hold up better, I think. If you want some more ideas. come check out Crock Pot Wednesdays. I think you will find some terrific dishes.

    ReplyDelete