Pages

Mexican Stuffed Shells

Monday, June 19, 2017




This is one of those recipes that take a short amount of time to make, yet it has the flavors that most everyone enjoys. Especially kids. Think taco pasta cups. The thing I love about this particular recipe is that I can make the individual toppings that make both kids and parents happy. Usually my kids load their shells with lots of cheese and sour cream. But I always dice a red onion and let it sit in lime juice for about 15 minutes, chop up a small bunch of cilantro and avocado for the adults. I served these shells with a cumin spiced black bean and corn salad, which I added to my shells before adding the sour cream. Super yummy meal to make on a weeknight.

Mexican Stuffed Shells

Ingredients
1 box jumbo pasta shells
1-2 T butter
1.5 lbs lean ground beef, turkey or chicken
2T taco seasoning ( I use Penzey's)
3 oz  cream cheese ( I use reduced fat)
1 c salsa
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
1 c shredded hot pepper jack cheese
1.5 cups tortilla chips, crushed ( I use tortilla strips)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350*. Cook the pasta shells according to the package directions.Drain shells, gently toss in butter and set aside.

In a large skillet, brown the meat, turkey  or chicken. Season with the 2T taco seasoning. Stir in the cream cheese until well blended. Let the meat mixture simmer on low for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Fill each shell with meat mixture and set in a lightly greased casserole dish. (9 x 13 ). Spoon the salsa over the shells and top with the cheese and tortilla chips. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and the meat is warmed through. Serve with sour cream, onions, lettuce;or any other taco toppings you prefer.

15 comments:

  1. Holy crap that looks good. I never thought of mixing Mexican and Italian when it came to stuffed shells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, it is yummy.Thanks for stopping by. ~Liz

      Delete
  2. I'm always on the lookout for a recipe that my kids would enjoy! I'd love to have you come and link up at Taste and Tell Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, these are great for the kids. They get to choose their toppings, which, in my experience, gets them to eat. Thank you for stopping by and thank you for the link up. Happy Saturday!

      Delete
  3. We love Mexican stuffed shells. Your salad sounds like a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara thank you for stopping by The Fresh Plate. Hope to see more of you around here! Liz

      Delete
  4. Oh man!! Those look really good. I may have to try these! Thanks for coming over and linking them up.

    Don't forget I will be featuring a "PINNER" every Friday, so hop on over an link up if you are interested in becoming a featured Pinner...Only guideline is you have to follow the host!!!

    http://mydailyphotojourney.blogspot.com/2012/12/looking-for-pinners.html

    Have a Crazy Beautiful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denyse, Thank you for the info. Since I am addicted to Pinterest, I will definitely do this. Thank you for the linky party. ~liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look wonderful! This would be a nice change of pace on pasta night:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, thank you for stopping by The Fresh Plate. Hope to see you around here more often. ~Liz

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for linking up to my Show & Tell party today! This recipe looks delicious... I hope you come back again next week. xoxo~ Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthie, thank you for hosting the linky party. I will definitely link up again. ~Liz

      Delete
  8. Hi,
    You have some great ideas and we would like for you to share with our readers too. We are hosting our first link party tomorrow and we would like to invite you to link up with us. We have a fun blog to co-host with us. Hope to see you there.

    Thanks!
    The Busy Bee's,
    Myrna and Joye.

    http://thebusybhive.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love Mexican food at our house. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe over at Finding the Pretty & Delicious Linky Party. Hope you'll come back tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another one for one of my upcoming Menus!! :) Thanks Liz!

    ReplyDelete