Pages

Sweet Sausage Soup

Friday, January 25, 2013





I have to admit, I love making soups. I usually double the recipe, serve a salad and a few loaves of bread, and I know my husband and sons will walk away from the table with full bellies. I think I probably serve soup about twice a week from October to April!Not to mention that for the most part, soup is so inexpensive to make and I can always make it stretch if I add pasta or extra vegetables. This sausage soup is one that uses simple ingredients, is simple to make and a big kid pleaser. The addition of the sweet sausage is a nice change of pace from ground sirloin . My younger two boys love wagon wheel pasta, so I always make this soup using those. But macaroni or small penne would be great as well. Stay tuned for a few more soups being posted this week. I have made a couple wonderful, quick ones for lunches this week that will knock your socks off!


Sausage Soup

1 lb sweet italian sausage
1/2 cup onion, chopped  ( I use vidalia )
1 can (16oz) stewed tomatoes
24oz can beef broth ( I use organic)
2 cups water
2 cups pasta (macaroni or wagon wheel work great)
salt and pepper, to taste
parmesan cheese , grated (optional)

1.Remove the sausage from its casing and brown the sausage and the onion in a large pan.Drain fat off.
2. Stir in the tomatoes,beef broth and water.Bring to a boil.
3.Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
4. Add the pasta and simmer for another 20 minutes or so, until the pasta is done. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve hot with shredded cheese (optional)

3 comments:

  1. I am not a huge soup fan but every once in a while I will make a huge pot of soup. I love how you can not only stretch a buck with soup but the volume of it as well. This soup sounds quite tasty and simple to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin thank you for stopping by! This is a great basic soup recipe that you can definitely build on.

    ReplyDelete