Pages

Snow Cream

Friday, January 25, 2013



Growing up in North Carolina, we did not get much snow during the winter months. So, naturally, when it did snow, it was a big event. Me, my sister and my cousins would all play outside until our cheeks were cherry red and our feet were frozen. When we would come inside, my nana  would make us all big bowls of snow cream. Yummy, vanilla flavored ice. It is one of my fondest memories  of growing up. All grown up and living in Pennsylvania, my kids see there fair share of snow. Every time it starts to snow, I  automatically want to grab a bowl to put outside to catch the snow  in preparation for snow cream later on in the day. But if I made snow cream every time it snowed here, we would have it nearly every day. So I make it once or twice a season so the kids will enjoy it. The recipe is super easy. Just make sure you have clean snow. Not cool  to mix it up and find dead leaves, dirt or other things in the snow. Fresh fallen snow is best.

Snow Cream

Ingredients

  • 1 gallon snow
  • 3/4  cup white sugar (or more or less to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (add more to your taste)
  • 2 cups milk

Directions

  1. When it starts to snow, place a large, clean bowl outside to collect the flakes. When full, stir in sugar and vanilla to taste, then stir in just enough milk for the desired consistency. Serve at once.




3 comments:

  1. Oh, how fun! I have never had that. What fun it must be growing up where it snows!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz,
    I am a new follower from the Blog Hop Like Crazy Party. I am looking forward to getting to know your blog and you! I grew up where it snowed every winter and I wished I would have known about snow cream. It sounds incredible!!

    ReplyDelete