Pages

Italian Sausage Cottage Pie

Wednesday, January 23, 2013




Oh did my kids love these cottage pies! This is one o f those recipes that I put together at the very last minute. I have an eye infection, and really did not want to make anything. But the alternative was to take 6 people , in freezing weather, to a restaurant. So I decided to put something together. I had a pound of hot italian sausage, red peppers , potatoes and onions so I decided to make an italians sausage base and a pot of mashed potatoes tp go on top, It had a very italian twist to it, especially with the creamy potatoes topped with seasoned breadcrumbs and shaved parmesan cheese. I mixed it up a little and put them into individual ramekins. I will definitely make these again. Especially since  the boys all said they loved it and went for seconds.

Italian Sausage Cottage Pie
Ingredients:

     8-10 yukon gold potatoes, diced
     salt and pepper  to taste
     1/4 cup butter
     1 lb hot Italian sausage
     2 tablespoons canola oil
     1 small onion, diced
     2 red bell peppers, diced
     3 garlic cloves, minced
     salt and pepper
     1/2 tsp oregano
     1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
      1/2 c parmesan cheese, shaved
 
Directions:
 
  • Preheat oven 375°F.
  • Cook the potatoes in salted water until they are cooked. Drain them. Mash them with the butter and season them with salt and pepper. Put aside. 
  • Take the sausages out of their casing and set on a plate.
  • Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the peppers and the onions and cook for  about 3 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add salt,pepper   and  oregano.         
  • Put back the frying pan on the stove and cook the sausage meat until cooked. Drain the fat out of the pan. Add the pepper-onion mixture into the meat.
  • Put the meat evenly in 6 ramekins , or a  8x8 dish. Add the mashed potatoes on top of the meat and top with the breadcrumbs and shaved parmesan cheese.
  • Bake for 25 minutes for the ramekins, and 35-40 for the baking dish. The potatoes will be slightly browned and the cheese melted and bubbly.
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Elizabeth, thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. Have a great weekend, my friend. ~liz

      Delete
  2. Hi, I just saw your link over at Miz Helen's Country Cottage link party! I'd love for you to link up on my very first link party this weekend! I just opened it early if you want to take a peek at it and link up :)

    I'd love to have you share a recipe with my readers http://thebestblogrecipes.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-weekend-re-treat-1.html

    Shauna {The Best Blog Recipes}
    http://thebestblogrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz,
    It is good to see you here today. Your Italian Sausage Cottage Pie looks delicious, we just love a dish like this. Hope you have a great weekend and thanks for sharing your tasty recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miz Helen thank you ! I have not linked up with you ion awhile and thought it was time to start again! Have a great Friday! ~Liz

      Delete
  4. Shauna, thank you for the invitation! I will definitley head over and link up. Have a great weekend! ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been able to get warm all day today, but I'm betting that this would warm me right up! Thanks so much for sharing at Taste and Tell Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete