Pages

Baked Blueberry Doughnuts

Sunday, September 16, 2012



Sunday mornings before church I like to make homemade breakfasts for the family. This week I made homemade baked blueberry doughnuts ( I <3 my doughnut pans)  and fruit salad. These doughnuts are healthier than their fried cousins and my kids love them. I usually make chocolate or cinnamon doughnuts, but I had blueberries that needed to be used  so I decided to mash them into small bits and add them to the batter. You can use regular milk in place of the buttermilk. I always have buttermilk for baking, so that is what I use. Totally up to you. You can also add a glaze. Just mix powdered sugar and milk until you get your desired consistency and dip the warm doughnuts into the glaze and place on racks to set. A lemon glaze would be great on blueberry doughnuts come to think of it. I will have to do that next time.  This makes 6 doughnuts, so I double the recipe for a dozen for my family.

Baked Blueberry Doughnuts

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons buttermilk
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons water
½ cup blueberries, crushed

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together milk, eggs, oil, blueberries and water. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.Place the batter in a large ziploc bag and snip off an end. Pipe the batter into each doughnut mold about 1/2 full. Bake at 325 degrees for 15-17 minutes in a 6-doughnut pan . You can insert a tootpick or skewer in them to test their doneness. Let them  sit for a minute or two in the doughnut pan before turning them out. I have found that they will sometimes break if they are piping hot , so I wait a few minutes before I turn them out of the pan. You should glaze them while they are still warm. Serve with a mug of coffee or cold milk.

1 comment: