Pages

Old Fashioned Southern Potato Salad

Friday, June 24, 2011


Everyone has their ideal of what potato salad should taste like. I have tasted dozens of them over the years, and in my opinion, the only recipe that works is this one. I like my potato salad to have a tang to it. So vinegar has to be an ingredient. If it isn't, then don't call it potato salad. This is an old southern recipe that I make from Easter to Harvest. I have even turned a few non-potato-salad eaters into "Liz, can you please make potato salad for this weekend" potato salad eaters. It is a staple on our spring and summer table. You can lighten it up by using low fat mayo, which I do on occasion. But if you want the real , full fat, full flavor version, I suggest Duke's Mayo, which I cannot find up north. I stock up when I go home to NC to last me in between visits. But any mayo would work.

* I grew up watching my nana make this salad , and  when she adds the relish, she always pours about half a tespoon or so of the juice in the pickle jar in with the salad and mixes it up with the  other ingredients. She also does the same with her tuna salad and her chicken salad. I am not sure it makes a big difference, but since she does it, I do it too.

Old Fashioned Southern Potato Salad

* 6 cups cooked, diced potatoes ( I use yukon gold, they seem to hold up better)
* 1 cup diced celery
* 1/2 cup onion
* 4 chopped  boiled eggs
* 1/4 cup chopped  jarred pickle relish
* 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise (I use Duke's brand)
* 2 tablespoons mustard
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 tablespoons vinegar
* 1 tablespoon sugar

1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, being careful not to mash the potatoes.
2. Chill for a few hours before serving

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm! This is almost the same as my mother's recipe. Instead of pickle relish, she chopped up dill pickles. I sure miss my mother's cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sallie, I use my canned dill pickles if I have them. However, with 4 boys, I cannot can them fast enough! Thank you for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just told my mom yesterday I want some good old fashioned potato salad. I want to make this! Perfect for summer :)

    ReplyDelete