Pages

Grilled Cheerwine BBQ Pork Chops

Wednesday, June 7, 2017


These grilled pork chops are so good. Cheerwine is used for the bbq sauce and it creates a nice sauce with a hint of cherry flavor. For those of you not familiar with Cheerwine, it is a cherry soda made in Salisbury, NC. It is very popular and it is beginning to make its way to states  other than NC. I can find it here in WV/VA stores. I have also been known to bring a few 12 packs home with me from NC when I go home to visit my family. If you cannot find Cheerwine, you can use a cherry coke or pepsi, but the flavor will not be the exact same as using Cheerwine.
This recipe uses a flavorful rub , then the chops are grilled and the bbq sauce is brushed on the meat near the end of grilling. The pork chops come out perfect.You can use any kind of pork chop. I use thick bone in chops. But use what you have. Just adjust the grill time accordingly if you have thin chops. You don't want to over cook them .
 Make sure you save some of the bbq sauce for dipping at the table. I had a bit left over from dinner and I made a bbq ranch dressing with the leftover sauce for grilled chicken salad for lunch the next day. I just mixed in the bbq sauce one tablespoon at a time into homemade ranch dressing until I got the bbq flavor I wanted. I used about 3 T sauce to 1 cup dressing.


Grilled Cheerwine BBQ Pork Chops

BBQ Sauce:
1 T butter
1 tsp minced garlic
1 c ketchup
1 c Cheerwine
3 T worchestershire sauce
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp dry mustard
2 T white distilled vinegar

1. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add garlic and cook in the butter, stirring , for about 45 seconds. Stir in all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about half an hour.

Pork :
6- 8  bone in  pork chops, about 1 1/2 thick
1 T thyme
1 T oregano
1 T paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

1. Mix all of the rub ingredients together well.Coat the pork , on both sides, with the rub using your fingers to get the rub all over the meat. Place the pork in a large ziploc bag and marinate for 4 hours.

Grill:
1.Preheat grill to medium heat. When grill has been heated, place the pork on the grates and grill 6 o 8 minutes.
2.Turn he pork and grill on the other side  until the meat is cooked through, about 5-6 minutes.
3.Using 1 cup of sauce ( reserve the rest for serving)  brush the pork with the sauce. Grill for about 2 minutes, then turn the pork and brush the other sides with the sauce and cook another 2 minutes.
4.Remove the pork from he grill and tent it with aluminum foil for about 5 minutes to le the meat rest.
5.Serve with reserved bbq sauce.

I am sharing this recipe over at
Weekend Potluck

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this looks AMAZING! I'll definitely be trying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Salisbury, NC home of cheerwine! Born n raised here. We just celebrated 100 years of cheerwine!!! Very big to do here in town! Nothing like the taste of ice cold cheerwine on a hot summers day! And cheerwine float is to die for!!!
    I'll def try this recipe this week. Of course cheerwine is a regular staple in our home. Lol
    Thx again for a great recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete